Posted by Laurie Frost on April 20, 2014
A final look at the National Library of Ireland’s stream in the Commons on Flickr, starting with some photos from the set Easter 1916. Captions are from the Flickr album.
The remains of the Dublin Bread Company at 6-7 Lower Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street) after the Easter Rising in 1916.
Date: Definitely May 1916, if not the very end of April
The shell of the G.P.O. on Sackville Street (later O’Connell Street), Dublin in the aftermath of the 1916 Rising.
The next is from the album, Irish Civil War:
National Army soldiers drive a car laden with wreaths through the streets of Dublin towards Glasnevin Cemetery for the burial of Michael Collins [Irish revolutionary leader]. August 28, 1922
Something lighter from Built Heritage album:
The Wonderful Barn, Leixlip in Co. Kildare , c. 1900
And something older:
Dolmen at Feenagh in Co. Leitrim, c. 1858
And someone haunting:
Doon Well at Kilmacrenan in Co. Donegal, c. 1870
Posted in Flickr Commons, Historical, Places | Tagged: Dolmen at Feenagh, Doon Well at Kilmacrenan, Dublin, Easter 1916, Flickr Commons, Irish Civil War, Leixlip in Co. Kildare, Michael Collins, National Library of Ireland, Sackville Street | Comments Off on A few more from the National Library of Ireland on Flickr Commons
Posted by Laurie Frost on April 6, 2014
More from the 38 sets of pictures from the National Library of Ireland, on Flickr’s Commons, starting with some nuns from the set, “Collar, Cowl, and Coif“:
About this one, Flickr notes “this nun was a member of the Daughters of Charity (of St. Vincent de Paul). The distinctive head dress is called a cornette, and led to this order being known as the Butterfly Nuns. The Daughters of Charity abandoned the cornette on 20 September 1964.” The picture also shows the Parnell Monument in Dublin.
Another nun, by Photographer Richard Tilbrook, on
This one is on Ireland’s west coast at the
The next few pictures are from the “Built Heritage” set.
The note on Flickr about the image below reads: Station Island, Lough Derg, Co. Donegal, c. 1890. “The traditional pilgrimage involved three days of fasting and two days of prayer. The central prayer of the pilgrimage was called a ‘station’ – prayers were said at the penitential beds, in and around the basilica, at the lake edge and at two ancient crosses. The island’s penitential beds are the circular remains of monks’ cells about a metre high with an entrance and a cross in the centre. This station is St. Patrick’s Cross. The stone shaft in which the cross is set dates back to the Middle Ages and is a relic of monastic times on the island.”
This is Hore Abbey in Tipperary:
The 9th/10th century high cross at Monasterboice , Co. Louth.
Posted in Flickr Commons, Historical, Places | Tagged: Cliffs of Moher, cornette, Dublin, Flickr Commons, Hore Abbey, Ireland, National Library of Ireland, nun, Parnell Monument, Photographer Richard Tilbrook, Tipperary | 5 Comments »