Posted by Laurie Frost on April 6, 2014
More from the 38 sets of pictures from the National Library of Ireland, on Flickr’s Commons, starting with some nuns from the set, “Collar, Cowl, and Coif“:
About this one, Flickr notes “this nun was a member of the Daughters of Charity (of St. Vincent de Paul). The distinctive head dress is called a cornette, and led to this order being known as the Butterfly Nuns. The Daughters of Charity abandoned the cornette on 20 September 1964.” The picture also shows the Parnell Monument in Dublin.
Another nun, by Photographer Richard Tilbrook, on
This one is on Ireland’s west coast at the
The next few pictures are from the “Built Heritage” set.
The note on Flickr about the image below reads: Station Island, Lough Derg, Co. Donegal, c. 1890. “The traditional pilgrimage involved three days of fasting and two days of prayer. The central prayer of the pilgrimage was called a ‘station’ – prayers were said at the penitential beds, in and around the basilica, at the lake edge and at two ancient crosses. The island’s penitential beds are the circular remains of monks’ cells about a metre high with an entrance and a cross in the centre. This station is St. Patrick’s Cross. The stone shaft in which the cross is set dates back to the Middle Ages and is a relic of monastic times on the island.”
This is Hore Abbey in Tipperary:
The 9th/10th century high cross at Monasterboice , Co. Louth.
Posted in Flickr Commons, Historical, Places | Tagged: Cliffs of Moher, cornette, Dublin, Flickr Commons, Hore Abbey, Ireland, National Library of Ireland, nun, Parnell Monument, Photographer Richard Tilbrook, Tipperary | 5 Comments »
Posted by Laurie Frost on April 1, 2014
Another source on Flickr’s Commons, the National Library of Ireland, has 38 sets of pictures to choose from, including one called “4 Legs Good, 2 Legs Bad,” from which these come:
The Flickr description of this one of a Royal Welsh Fusilier with the Regimental Goat says it was taken around 1887 near Fermoy, Co. Cork.
A pug, circa 1900:
More is known about this photo, taken January 14, 1906: “This greyhound is Peerless de Wet, winner of the 1905 inaugural Irish Cup that is pictured here in pride of place (for Coursing, run at Limerick). The dog was born in 1902. He was owned by R.F. Phelan, who named his champion after General Christiaan Rudolf de Wet, a Boer General. One of these gentlemen may be R.F. Phelan.”
an officer in the Royal Artillery, stationed at Waterford, in 1901:
Irish wolfhound Leitrim Boy, mascot for the Irish Guards, in 1917:
Posted in Animals, Flickr Commons, Historical, Places | Tagged: Fermoy, Flickr Commons, greyhound, Ireland, Irish wolfhound, National Library of Ireland, Peerless de Wet, pug, R.F. Phelan, Royal Welsh Fusilier, Waterford | 1 Comment »
Posted by Laurie Frost on April 13, 2010
Today’s public domain images are of the British Isles: Ireland and the United Kingdom.
The CIA World Factbook doesn’t list Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland separately; they are all included under United Kingdom. But I have broken them out here. However, you won’t find a section for Northen Ireland since there were no photos in the Factbook to choose from.
Eilean Donan Castle (1220), Loch Duichear, Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland.
Read the rest of this entry »
Posted in CIA World Factbook, Places | Tagged: Anne Hathaway's Cottage, Blarney Castle, Blenheim Palace, Chester Cathedral, Dee Valley, Eilean Donan Castle, England, Houses of Parliament, Ireland, Isle of Lewis, Kyle of Lochalsh, Llangollen, Loch Duichear, London, London Eye, Oxford, public domain images, Radcliffe Camera, Scotland, Standing Stones of Callanish, Stonehenge, Swaledale, The Rock of Cashel, Wales, Westminster | 3 Comments »